Menu

Stinging Insect Allergies

What is a “bee sting” allergy?

Venomous insect stings from wasps, yellow jackets, hornets, bees, and even fire ants may lead to an allergic reaction. Reactions can vary in severity from mild to life threatening anaphylaxis. Symptoms may include itch, hives, shortness of breath, wheeze, cough, swelling, stomach symptoms, or decrease of blood pressure resulting in loss of consciousness.

Should I see an allergist if I have previously had a sting reaction?

If you or your child had any symptoms other than swelling at the site of the sting, you should see an allergist for further evaluation. We can perform tests to see if you are truly allergic and prescribe emergency medication.

Are there treatments available if I am allergic to stings?

Yes, insect sting allergy should be treated, since these reactions can be life threatening. We will discuss insect avoidance strategies, and maintenance of injectable epinephrine. The best treatment available is to undergo desensitization. Stinging insect venom desensitization is highly effective in preventing severe allergic reactions. Treating this allergy can lead to significantly improved quality of life, and decreased anxiety when outdoors for you or your child!

Please contact our office to schedule an appointment. We have offices in New Milford, Ridgefield, and Danbury.